homeschooling for traveling families
So you’re getting ready for the big lap of Australia and you’re up to organizing the kids schooling.
It can seem overwhelming at first, but with the right tools, road-schooling can be really enjoyable.
These are my favourite products that I have been using over the last 3 years of traveling with school aged children. If you would like to read more about how to register and get setup for homeschooling in Australia, I have more on that here.
Getting the right workbooks for the year that cover the curriculum is really important, the Targeting series teaches the subjects in order and build onto the next skill. The workbooks you get from Aldi or a supermarket are more for practice of known skills, or testing, these full curriculum books are better for learning new skills. Remember you are teaching things they’ve never done, not testing them.
The fun part of homeschooling, the learning toys! What you need depends on the age your teaching, but get the basics for time, money, and math units to start and build from there. Kmart has a good selecting learning tools as well.
This little ink printer has been bouncing around under the bed storage for over a year and it still works every time I need to get out. I recommend it for a lightweight small printer/scanner.
Free online tools
Once you start looking there are so many free resources out there for homeschooling, here are a few goodies we use:
- ABCYA.com – Free online games by grade
- Prodigy Maths – Free wizard/magic maths game
- spellingcity.com – Free spelling games, enter your weekly spelling words.
- Learning Songs – Jack Hartman, catchy learning songs maths and english.
- Teachers Pay Teachers – free worksheets and projects made by teachers.
- ABC Education – Videos & games for kids learning
- Storyline Online – quality books read by famous people on video
- Scootle – the whole Australian Curriculum with resources